Friday, March 12, 2010

Wild West

Boy, did I miss you! I just got back from the Wild West, and the wildest part was the way home! But nevermind sleeping in an airport due to fog only to have the plane cancelled the next day anyway. Oh well, everybody had a great sense of humor and patience about the whole thing. And the bus driver was nice. I made it to Clintonville, WI at least!
When we stepped out of the Spokane, WA airport on Sunday, I was quite surprised to feel how hot the weather was. Sunny and hot! Not a flake of snow in site. Nevermind that the rest of the trip was rainy and chilly... one day in a tank top really hit the spot!
It was great to see my little brother and meet his snakes, rats, dog, roomates and friends. We even got to see a nice park area... you know, I like that sort of thing. I even saw Alice in Wonderlan in 3-D (the last time I saw a movie in a theatre was in Spokane 6 years ago). The coolest land area I got to see was on the drive to Portland, OR.
The interstate followed the Columbia River Gorge. Man, what a sight! Lots of the ridges reminded me of the Keweenaw, and the last ones on the way looked like the mountains and evergreens of Colorado.
Then Portland was a taste of Spring! Trees blooming, daffodils, primrose, crocus, forsythius and all sorts of beautiful colors! Once again, we missed the sunny weather, but the greens, pinks, yellows and reds sure made up for it!

Portland was a not-so-scary city. It seemed pretty progressive and liberal. And, of course, it was great to see my sister and her husband. Then the plane ride back to Minneapolis was quite amazing. At one point of the flight (pretty much the middle) I looked to the West and saw green and brown. To the East, the land looked like the frozen tundra! It was so cool how the climate changed with the turn of my head out my plane window.

The whole trip seemed pretty short-lived, except for the 17 hours in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport. That's how my dad spent his birthday. Guess it could always be worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment