Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring Limbo

March was definitely in like a lamb. It still is a lamb, tender and juicy. According to John Dee's delightful snow guide, the Keweenaw has received 172 inches of snow for the 2009-2010 season. Judging from my experience the last five winters here, I would say we are due for another dump or two. People have estimated average yearly snowfalls ranging from 250 - 320 inches. If that's the case, we are way behind.

If you click on that snow guide link, you'll see that we got about 50 inches of snow in April of 2007, after the previous amounts already melted. That just turned things upside down for the locals. I don't want to see that happen again, but I still feel like that little lamb is going to get ugly before Summer officially begins. We will get more snow.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying the extremely uncharacteristic sunshine and warmth. I think only once in January was it cloudy long enough for me to get the winter blues. Once! Usually the whole winter is so depressingly gray that I have to physically rush my endorphins so I don't sleep all day and cry all night. But now I am a clam!

And let me tell you what I saw today. In March. I saw dandelion greens!!! You know, that little saw-toothed weed that most people think ruins the look of their lawn? It's growing already! It's quite delicious too. On that walk to the lighthouse today, I also saw fresh grass sprouting through the brown crustiness. I can't help but think this spring glory is just a tease, but I don't mind the teasing.

The forecast says the temperature will get below freezing with a chance of snow showers this weekend, and though I believe it to be true, I'm not banking on anything. Living up here, I've learned to go with the flow -- especially when that flow is the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment