Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Brockway's Nose and Beyond!

I know, I know. You're probably thinking, "Woah, Amanda posted again already?!" Yes. Yes, I did. With the snow melted, I am no longer employed at the Bear Belly Bar and Grill, which frees up a lot of my time... more time for you!

And more time for my adventures. Today, since Duce has a bum paw, I marched the blacktop up Brockway Mountain. My intent was to take a picture for you at the nose, and then see how far I would keep going.

During this time of year, many people wonder, "Can I get up Brockway Drive in my car?" If you have 4-wheel drive and snow tires. Yes. Otherwise, you might slide backwards down that first steep ascent. That's the messiest spot. The couple who owns the Tamarack Inn, Bill and Bonnie, drive their snowmobiles down in the winter and keep their cars parked at the Tamarack, so they can drive elsewhere. Imagine the planning that would take to know you can't drive to your driveway 4 months out of the year!

With feet, however, it's a lovely stroll no matter where you roam. Now let me see how my instructional skills were in my last post. Below is a picture of pretty darn near what I saw when I tried to explain the different colors/qualities of water on each pool. You can see how the Harbor attaches to Lake Superior in this picture. And the other bodies are (clockwise) Lake Fanny Hooe and Clyde's Pond.

Can you see what I was talking about? Nice and methodical, just how Mother Nature intended.

Notice how bare the trees are right now. In the middle left of the picture, you can see da town itself. Not too hustly bustly this time of year! And at the very top in the middle is East Bluff. That's an adventure I want to tackle some day soon.

Satisfied with the reference points on this picture, I continued to walk up. Up, up and away! I was ill-prepared, and didn't bring any water, so I figured I wasn't going to make it the whole four miles to the top. Someday I will. Anyone want to go with?

I did climb up to the third lookout. I could see Hwy. 41 from there. That spot had a long stone ledge that I skipped across the whole way to and fro. That was quite invigorating; I'd never done that before. As for Duce. I think he forgot about his paw because he pounced in the woods after birds and (Heaven forbid) deer. See how much more sympathy he gets!

No comments:

Post a Comment