Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ice Arches on the Shore

I went for a little jog to the shore today.  Just a little jog, so I didn't bring my camera.  As Murphy's Law would have it, I saw some sights that I knew you would love to see too, so I ran back to get my camera and pedaled back to the shore.  See what you make me do?

The day was so sunny and bright that the ice just sparkled.  The old ice mounds from last week turned into dripping ice arches.  I perched myself as close to the edges of these as I could to absorb their splendor.  The waves splashed underneath from the open water of Lake Superior.  Oh, she was shining like a queen!

Below is the first arch I came across.  The icicles inside hung like the jagged teeth of a beast.  Doesn't it look like it could eat you?


Here is the second arch.  I particularly liked the aqua color reflecting underneath.


Can I get a closeup of those icicles and the green, please?  Oh, yeah.


And how about the texture of the other ice domes along the shore?  Look real close, it's all rippley.  Try climbing up that!


Below is an image of the ice balls that I trekked through to get to these places.  Slick, I say!  But also splendid like gems.


And from afar, you never would know the majesty that lies among the snow if you didn't venture down. I'm glad I did!
And on my bike ride back home, I tipped over three times!  Ha!  Good thing I don't have pictures of that!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What a gorgeous day. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee, I'm so glad you enjoyed! Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great shots Amanda, thanks for making the effort to share the splendor of Superior. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots! Looks like it was one of those really nice days. Love your blogs, and your sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you all liked them! I'm not much of a photographer, but the subjects were pretty photogenic! I guess it was worth the icy bike ride:)

    ReplyDelete