Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Shores of Red Ridge

When I got the chance to hike Lake Superior's shore in Red Ridge, I couldn't resist.  Another view of Her Majesty?  Let me have it!  I even convinced a couple other friends and my pup to venture out with the trekkers group on this journey.

Here are some pictures of the artwork along the shore.



I was glad to have all the people in this shot, so you could really see how huge these ice drips were.  Ooh, look at all the different colors!


And here is a whole icicle cave!  Your room is around the corner.


I suppose this is why it's called "Red Ridge."  The ridge is red!  What beautiful cliff bands.


And let's get a closer look at the frozen waterfall, shall we?  Oh yes.  That's what I'm talking about.


This crystal clear chunk of ice was about the size of a bowling ball!  The shore was littered with these gems.


Here's a view to the southwest as people (and dogs) marched along the shore into the sunset.

Not too shabby for not da Harbor!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the beautiful pictures. Enjoy your writings which I just discovered two weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda... love the dramatic ice formations! Thanks for making the effort to get there and for sharing your wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following me on a Southward journey! Lake Superior has surprises on every inch of shore.

    ReplyDelete