Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Winter?

Ah, another beautiful sunny day in da Keweenaw. Woah, wait... it's winter! Though the little snow that we have is slowly melting in the sunshine, I'm not going to complain. I'm just going to take it as it comes, and sunshine is always welcome.

Yesterday, Aaron and I had our first cross country ski of the winter up at the Mt. Lodge. The trails were freshly groomed, and the sun rosied our cheeks. I enjoyed remembering how much I sweat during a good ski. No need to wear a lot of clothes for that!

While on that ski, we skirted around snowshoe/mountain bike trails, a terrain park, a disc golf course and a place for snowmobilers to park. Wow, I thought. The Lodge is really becoming a great spot for many recreational activities. That is surely what this town needs in order to thrive. So here's a special shout out to all those in the Copper Harbor Trails Club and the Mt. Lodge who are involved in building, maintaining and signing those areas. They will keep people coming back.

And tonight I get to serve drinks to snowmobilers and skiers at the Bear Belly Bar and Grill. Ah, yes, the winter work force. It's nice to make a few bucks this time of year, but I mostly appreciate the time I can spend at home to cook, read, write, make wine, go outside and do whatever else my little heart desires. So I guess the 4 1/2 months I work my butt off is certainly worth it.

Cheers to winter... even if it melts!

2 comments:

  1. Salutations Amanda,

    I came across your blog by accident from the John Dee site, and having been to da Harbor many times on a motorcycle, and in the winter on a sled, I ended up reading a lot of your posts.

    I enjoyed them very much, and as a "troll" from down below, (Barry county, Mi) I must say your writings are delightful.

    Happy New Year...

    Cheers, Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Al! I wonder how you found me from John Dee... If you ever come up to da Harbor for a drink, I just might be your bartender! Take care!

    ReplyDelete