Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Vail Mountain

Tuesday morning we woke up to eight inches of fresh powder on the ground. Sa-weeeeeet! We even got up at 7 am to take full advantage of our powder day in Vail.

We ended up skiing with about the same size group of people as we did on Social Sunday. A big group on a powder day? I'm used to hearing, "No friends on a powder day," which translates into, "It just snowed 8 inches, and if you can't keep up with me on the hill, I'll see you at the end of the day."

But not that day. The skiers all waited for little Amanda on her snowboard to make it to the bottom of the mountain. Wow. Thanks, guys. That's a noble amount of patience.

We rode from 9 am to after 2 pm. Oh, man. That was a fun day of work. All of our legs were so tired that we each had to drink a 24 ounce PBR before the bus came to pick us up. Mmm, PBR. The pain went away before I even finished mine.

The next day we woke up to a sunny (and lazy and tired and sore) morning, but decided to do it again. The snow would still be good, right? Right. The conditions were really perfect for a sunny day: some choppy powder, some freshies and, my favorite that day, smooth groomers.

I was hoping for a day riding groomed runs, but our adventurous leader took us back to the thick stuff. I tried my best to twist and turn my way down. I really did. But after a few runs, I had to admit that I was a hazard to myself and those around me. Luckily, half the crew felt the same, so we stuck to the easy runs for the last couple. Oh, thank you again.

Tomorrow promises a hike, but I have to believe it won't be an easy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment