Thursday, January 28, 2010

Buttery Bohemia Beating

Aaaaaaaaaaaalleluia! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaalleluia! Alleluia, alleluia, alle-eluia! That song has been stuck in my head for the past three days because that's how long it's been snowing. Snowing and blowing up bushels of fun. Now the snowboarding has begun!

Yesterday (the only day I got to go) was pretty freakin awesome at Mt. Bohemia. Every turn, every b-line, every fall was smooth and buttery. It reminded me why I moved up here -- to ride the powder at Bohemia ( I stayed for many other reasons, if you haven't noticed).

I apologize for not knowing the exact amount (the wind spreads it all over), but I know that over a foot has fallen since Tuesday. Copper Harbor is back in business, baby! And the best part, since I am a selfish local, is that it's the middle of the week, and we get it all to ourselves! All the people who are eager to snowmobile and ride Bohemia will be here Friday or Saturday, and I have already ridden in spectacular snow.

Since I am such a devoted teacher at the Copper Harbor one room schoolhouse, Wednesday was my only day to ride until the weekend. But I have no complaints. The snow was amazing, and, quite frankly, I was beat after riding all day.

Get this. Aaron and I made "first chair" on the lift up, so we made the first tracks in the snow that day. I'm not going to lie. It was hard work. All day. And I was going up and down all day. Even the tele-skiers were telling me that it was hard work, and they were sticking in the snow a bit. That made me feel much better because I thought only I did that.

And when I thought I couldn't make another run down that beautiful, burly mountain, I met up with the ski patrols, who happened to be Aaron's uncles, and did four more runs to "sweep" the mountain, and make sure everyone was off safely. On that last ride up, Uncle Mark pulled the rope behind us, making us the last chair up (which needs no quotes).

I wish I could have been more alive to celebrate the fact that I rode all day, and made first and last chair. Those are bragging rights. But no. I practically fell asleep at the table while my friends drank micro-brews. And I don't like to admit it, but I was even a bit cranky. Oh yes. They were all better off not talking to me at all. I was ready for bed.

But hey, that was more runs than I have ever done in one day in my life. And considering the energy-exerting conditions and the fact that I rode on the biggest board I've ever ridden, I was pretty proud of myself. I just may have deserved to sleep at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment