Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Switching to September Mode

Yesterday, around 6 pm, I walked down the main drag to tend to my garden.  Suddenly, I was stopped in my tracks.  I couldn't believe what I saw.

Or perhaps it was what I didn't see.

Cars and people.  Bikes and dogs.  Gone, gone, gone.  I could have stood on the yellow lines of U.S. Highway 41 without a passing car for quite sometime.  Even the parking lots were empty and sparse.  What a contrast from the weekend.

Labor Day Weekend.  The big shebang.  The final final for this little town.  And it's over.

Sunday, for the Bell's Beer Copper Harbor Trails Fest, I was in charge of (among many other things) hauling coolers, cups and tables to the aid station up at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge.  To accomplish such a task, I had to drive my car -- something no local wants to do on such a day.

Putting through town in second gear, I felt like I was in a parade.  Speed was slow, cars were bumper to bumper and kids were running across the road.  I just took deep breaths and enjoyed the chaos for what it was.

On the way back down, the cruisin' was pretty smooth until the last 1/4 mile before the blinking light.  Keweenaw County's sheriff's officers were orchestrating traffic as the racers crossed the highway there.  I was in no big hurry, so, once again, I just enjoyed the hubbub and watched the racers pedal vigorously.  

Once I parked my car in my driveway, I wiped my brow, grateful not to drive for the rest of the weekend.  My traveling from then on would be by foot... and my feet were sore by the end of it all.

Sunday's weather was surprisingly spectacular.  The sun dried some slick spots on the trails and kept people's spirits up throughout the day.  The event went well.  Again, a HUGE thank you goes out to our dozens of volunteers, donors, racers and everyone who helped make this event successful.  It's a big undertaking, but it seems to be worth it.

So now what do I do with myself?  Take a nap.

But first, I'll share a couple pics my hubby took of the downhill event.

Racer launching over The Flow

Crowds cheering on the riders

Did I take any pictures?  Nope.  I was too stressed out running here and there to make sure this and that were ready to go.  And I couldn't even reward myself with a Bell's Black Note Bourbon Barrel Stout.  I suppose the smell of it was rewarding enough.

Before I exit this topic, I should inform you that if you are interested in seeing more pictures and stats from this weekend, go to CopperHarborTrails.org or visit them on facebook.

So I'm not working full-time right now.  I have plenty of little jobs to keep me busy and lots of volunteer work to do, but I'm not "tied down" six days a week for 10 hours a day like usual.  You would think that I have plenty of time to pick berries.

Sadly, that is a farce.

Picking berries with a lead-filled basket ball on my tummy is no easy task.  I pretty much gave up at the end of July.  But here is the kicker: people look at me and say, "I can't believe the bilberries this year.  They are like nickels, and there's so many of them!"

Yeah, yeah rub it in.  My picking days are done for the summer.  I got what I could already.  And besides, the berries give me instant acid reflux.  But I eat them anyway.  Ah yes, life it is a-changin'.  But it's a good change, and I am excited for it.

Well, Happy September.  This month brings different clientele to the area: older couples, couples without kids and the like.  Table occupancy in the restaurants goes from a "party of 12, no wait, 11 and a booster seat" to "just the two of us... can we sit on the main floor?"  But nonetheless, the weekends will be busy.  Especially when the leaves turn more.

Color Report
I would say the Covered Drive is still only 1% color.  It's beautiful color too.  I'll let you know more as the weeks go by!

1 comment:

  1. Please keep us informed on the color progress....that is if you're not going to be busy in the near future. :-)

    ReplyDelete