Saturday, May 4, 2013

Wisconsin in May

You cheated, didn't you?  You already scrolled down to see what pictures or videos I posted.  If you didn't, thanks for your patience.  If you did, I know.  I do that too.  Ha!

I made a fun video from our kiting adventures, but I cannot access the internet on the computer it is on.  Guess you'll have to wait one more post!

Here in northwest Wisconsin, things have been interesting.  I spent the first three days wearing a tank top in the warm sunshine boiling sap and drinking homemade wine. 

But by Wednesday, we got 15 inches of snow in one day.  "I'll believe it when I see it," is always my reaction to an abundant snowfall prediction.  I went to sleep with a dusting on the ground, and I woke up to 14 inches balanced on all the railings, birdfeeders, chairs... everything.  Aaron's dad snowblowed a path around the yard, so Duce could hobble around to do his duties.  That was nice of him because I sure didn't want to shovel all that snow!

Duce is doing well, by the way.  By now he thinks he's SuperDog and he can bound after robins in the snow.  Nope.  Not even close.  He needs to spend most of the day lying on his bed.  He hates it, but he will enjoy the rest of his life if he takes it easy these next few weeks.

As for the Keweenaw, the snow started melting so fast that some of the roads were flooding and the waterfalls were rushing.  I knew I would miss it.  I don't know how much snow they got this last storm, or how much snow is left on the ground now, but I'm sure it will all be different by the time I get there in three days.  I'll let you know.

I'm starting to get that uneasiness in the pit of my stomach every time I think about going home now.  Life is going to get hectic in a hurry.

March 12th is the Keweenaw Path fundraiser for the Gundlach Shelter.  I'll be biking from Chassell to Phoenix: 34 miles.  Would you like to sponsor me?  If you'd like to donate to this worthy cause, you can send a check made out to Barbara Kettle Gundlach Shelter Home and mail it to:
Keweenaw Path
P.O. Box 65
Copper Harbor, MI 49918
I thank you in advance for your support!

Then I need to get into the woods to gather some final information for my book, so I can finish and publish it before the summer gets too deep.

I've got 9 gallons of wine to bottle when I get home too.

May 17th - May 21st I will be in Ontario for my first Michigan Outdoor Writers Conference.  I'm looking forward to that.

Somewhere inbetween, I need to clean, set up and stock the Harbor Haus bar because I return to work May 25th.  Then, life as I know it is dedicated to the whir of the summer.

Deep breaths.  I can do it.  You will be with me through it all, and somehow you help keep me sane.  I thank you for that.

So for now, I will simply enjoy the freshly peeking sun and the company of one of my bestest buddies: my mother-in-law.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that Duce is doing well Amanda... and Aaron too :-) Being busy is not so bad after all, or you wouldn't relish your quiet time nowhere near as much. Late Spring in da Keweenaw is a special time so I hope that you, and Duce, and Aaron, enjoy it to the max. Another year passes and you are in the best place that I know of to watch it unfold. Enjoy it for all of us... and please report back!

    ReplyDelete