Saturday, January 5, 2013

Cell Tower Diversion

Drip, drip, drip.  That is what my roof is doing.  

My heart goes out to the business owners around here.  This sunshine and warming temps are killing the economy.  Not much more than the locals are around to partake.  For the commerce, I hope we got lots of snow soon.

For me, I can deal.  I always find something to do outside.  So far, it isn't making a snow fort, but hiking and jogging will suffice.  Some of us antsy locals are starting to get creative as well.  I'll let you know what we come up with!

So's not to linger over things I have no control over, let me tell you about something new you will see when you visit here in the summer or fall (or heck, right now, if you like to watch snow melt!).

Cell phone towers.

You will see the first one as you drive north on Hwy. 41 at the Delaware Mine sign.  It's on your left.

The Delaware tower just before it was finished

During the last couple days of their construction, I visited the site to get some shots of the action.

Notice the long pulley on the left.
That part is going up.

Hoisting the pulley to the top

The boys lay out the cable for the orange gin pole
which attaches to the pulley and shimmies up the tower

Its lights are blinking, but it will be transmitting in the spring.  The structure is standing tall and proud at 285 feet.

The construction crew was here for a few weeks in November.  Since they were the only non-residents around at that time, and they were good-hearted lads, we adopted them.  Some folks were sad to see them go.  I bet they are glad to be back in the warmth of the southland.

The second tower is shorter.  You know that left hand curve just before you get to Lake Medora where you realize you are going a little too fast?  It's there on your right.  I am not sure if this one is transmitting yet, but its red lights are on.

As far as I know, neither one of these will bring cell phone reception to da Harbor.  Remember the Brockway tower dispute?  Officials are still searching for another location for the Copper Harbor tower.  I'll let you know when that one goes up.  Maybe our southern boys will come back to assemble it!

No comments:

Post a Comment