Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tropical Excursions

I had a couple once-in-a-lifetime events this week.  Things I never thought I would do, not even in Hawai'i.  

The first was a snorkel at Pu'uhonau o Honaunau National Historic Park (aka Two Step).  It's south of Kona off of Highway 11.  Popular spot, and I can see why.  We snorkeled at Kiholo Bay last week, but sight distance was limited due to fresh water mixing with salt water and dark clouds.  This day's adventures were taken in the sunshine and clear water.

I felt so amazing swimming with these fish.  There's nothing quite like it.  I could tell they were used to people.  They just went about their business, eating off the coral.

Since I do not have the technology to record what I saw, I found someone on youtube who did.  Thank you itchykat!


That's pretty much what I saw.  A few other types of fish as well.  One of the coolest parts of being in there was floating between rock crests.  The waves would break above me and toss me around with their current.  Thank goodness for flippers!

Yesterday was an adventure of a lifetime.  Kilauea Mountain is active on the island, and lava is running down into the ocean.  We started a hike at 3 am over hardened lava to get to the fresh flow.  

Three year old lava flow... our terrain in the dark

We hiked for two miles to the ocean's edge, where neither one of them seem to mind each other's presence.  The lava flowed in bright orange, and the waves crashed over it.  Hawai'i gets bigger as this outpouring expands, and it gets smaller as these massive chunks crack and fall into the ocean.

Here is a video as I walked over it.  Don't worry, Mama and Papa!  I survived!


And here is an awesome one that Aaron shot.  I have never seen anything like this before.  It was hot!


As the sun came up, we were able to see the terrain we were on beyond our headlight range.  That in itself was an awakening experience.  I know a guy who gives great tours if you ever want to go!

Besides that, I have some neat pictures of rainforest trees.  Enjoy!







Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment