Saturday, November 24, 2012

Punishment Blizzard

Gosh, I didn't even get a chance to tell you about last week.  Six of the seven days were gorgeous.  I mean, sunshine all day, 40 - 50 degrees and majestic.  The locals were all in good moods because the days were so pleasant.  

I was a little skeptical, though.  You know what this means, I would tell my friends.  It means we're going to be punished with a blizzard!  You don't get anything for free, especially not a week of sunshine in the Keweenaw in November.

Yesterday ended it all.  The snow started the night before.  The winds blew the power out around 9 am.  I heard someone say that we had a gust up to 70 miles an hour.  However, considering the source, I can't promise that's true.  The power came on around 4 pm yesterday.

Want to know what is unusual about all that?  I wasn't even here!  Aaron, Mr. Butters and I were driving six hours in that crap to get back from Wisconsin.  But hey, at least we had a wonderful time with his family for Thanksgiving.  I hope you had a nice one too!

Today I got to shovel for the first time this season.  Like many residents (if you ask them in August), I like to shovel.  It's a great core and arm workout.  Shoveling for a week straight?  Maybe not so enjoyable.  But for the first snow, definitely a treasure.

Here's a little comparison for you:

Down 41 in the fall

Down 41 after the last snow

Nothing we can't handle yet!

The area shown below gets pretty deep from drifting... and it's right in front of my wine cellar, so I'll keep it shoveled out.  This is part of today's work.

The path to my wine cellar, all shoveled out

I hope this spreads a little winter cheer for you.  Now LET IT SNOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment