Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Goodbye Buoy, Hello Snow!

I'm not really sure what's going on here.  Since my last post (on Saturday) it really hasn't stopped snowing.  Not for long periods of time, at least.  We shoveled twice today.  Well, I shoveled, and Aaron blew the snow off with the Stihl BR600 Magnum leaf blower.  There is nearly two inches on our porch now.  If the temp wasn't predicted to rise to 50-something this weekend, I would be pumped for an early winter.  Oh, Mother Nature, you are a trickster.

I must confess, I forgot to tell you something very important about da Harbor.  The bell buoy has sailed south for the winter.  I remember the day, sometime last week, when I noticed its absence.  My first thought (besides why do I never get to watch the buoy go in or out?) was I remember the day I first heard it this spring.

It was the eve of Thursday, May 3rd.  My family came up to celebrate my and Aaron's wedding on Saturday.  My brother, sister and I started taking shots at dinner time.  We later ended up at Zik's singing, dancing and hula hooping.  It was about 3 am, and my sister and I decided to walk down Highway 41 in the almost full moon.  We were close to the water treatment plant when I heard it.  Ding ding, da ding ding.

I fell to my knees.  Bell bouy!  You're back!  I shouted (not at all influenced by tequila).  Katie!  The bell buoy is back!  I told her, as if she didn't notice me on the ground praising it already.  Spring is here!  Welcome back, bell buoy!  I love you!

Yep, that's pretty much how it went down.  The absence of the bell buoy was a much milder story.  In fact, I don't remember much about it besides wondering why the heck I never know when the bell buoy is going to change positions.

But I found out how I can.  I can just call the coast guard!  They'll be receiving a call from this young lady at the end of April.  I guess the raising and lowering process takes about four hours, but I could get some good video for you.  Please remind me about this in the spring.  Thanks.

Here is another one for you.  I already saw a snowmobile cruising by.  It was in St. Germain, Wisconsin.  I had to rub my eyes.  It had only been snowing for about 12 hours, but there was enough for those crazies to go for a ride.   Kudos to them.

I can't wait to ski.  I better get out before it melts.  But this time next week, I'll be on a tropical island!  Snow?  What the heck is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment