Saturday, June 30, 2012

The People are Coming, The People are Coming!


Here they come!  Motorcyclers, four-wheelers, mountain bikers, families, campers, kayakers and travelers of all sorts.  They are here, and more are coming.  I feel good about it, though.  It’s going to be okay.  

Now it’s not even July, and I have eaten a handful of blueberries and bilberries.  Can you believe it?  The rose hips have already taken the place of the petals and are turning pink.  It’s not even July!  But it sure has been warm, and we’ve been getting a decent amount of rain.  Ooh, watch out, you little berries… I’ve got my eyes on you!

I have become ever more curious about the plants up here.  I’ve been finding more to identify and find medical and nutritional uses for.  Hey, I want to be useful in case the world ends!  Plus, my curiosity takes over when I find one I don’t know, and I nose through all my identification guides until I have conquered my new findings.  That is quite fulfilling for me.  It’s like I’m in my own little plant school.

How are you doing?  Are you sweating just sitting in your chair?  It is stinkin hot up here, so I can only imagine that anywhere south would be hotter.  I won’t even complain about the heat to you.

Yesterday, however, my friend Rachel and I made the best of a hot day and went to Bete Gris Beach down by Lac La Belle.  Oh, I haven’t been there in a couple years.  The sand flies were out to bite, but the sunshine was glorious.  And Lake Superior herself is still a bit frigid, especially with the west winds that have been turning her over.  But I jumped in a few times anyway.  She sure is refreshing in that hot sun.

Hunter’s Point has been a nice breather too.  As long as the wind is blowing over the Big Lake, we are golden out there.  And cooler.  Ahh.

I would imagine that because I have only worked two days of the last three weeks, I am not nervous about the week of the Fourth of July.  I feel ready to take it on, actually.  And like I hinted to earlier, I am excited to see some people up here.  It’s been a little too quiet for this little tourist town.  Okay now, remind me I said that in August. 

Have a great day, and stay cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment