Monday, September 20, 2010

Lots of Good News

Good news! If you have been helping to vote for the Copper Harbor ambulance garage -- every day -- bless your soul! Our project has been moving up 2-5 spots a day toward number 1! When I checked this morning, we were at 59. Keep up the good work! For ease, here is the link to vote.

Here is some more great news: the leaves are changing. The leaves are changing!!! The Covered Stretch of Hwy. 41 is brilliant with pink, red, purple, yellow, orange and everything in between -- even green! Aetna Ridge is gorgeous and the Brockway Valley is alight. If you're not too far away, I would suggest coming to see these spots. It may last a couple more weeks, but the firey maples are on their way to peak.

It is truly fall here, with the cool weather, partially gray days, turning leaves and quiet nights. Though I still will not have a full day off in at least three weeks, I am grateful for the calmness of the town -- at least until people come gawking at the leaves (it's okay, I invited you).

I may as well throw in another cool event. Yesterday I biked to the Touch-me-not plant I found to try my luck with the seed pods. I have read that when you touch a mature seed pod, it bursts open instantaneously, spreading its seeds. I've had my eye on this little plant for over a week, but it hasn't been ready to burst yet.

Yesterday it sure was! I petted the swollen pod and BAM! a few seeds shot out all around it! I jumped, even though I knew that was going to happen! That was awesome, so I found another pregnant one. That one took a little more coercing, but exploded right in my hand. Ah, the wonders of the world.

Okay, I'll share one more spectacular viewing. 4 days ago I heard a bald eagle chirping at this East end of the Harbor. Its voice sounded not quite mature, so I thought it could have been an immature. After I had forgotten it was calling, I went out the front door toward the dock. I must have frightened the little guy (little, HA!) because it swooped out of where ever it was perched and soared down toward me. Ah! I thought it was going to pick me up in its talons!

I was actually so scared that I don't remember what I did, but it flew up into a pine right next to my house. A first year bald eagle. Beautiful. And guess what: I even got a picture of if for you.


There it is, and there it stayed for probably an hour while I spied in wonder. But I don't want to spoil you too much, so that's enough good news for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment