Monday, June 14, 2010

Gone South

You know I love da Harbor. But not only do I love it for myself, I've become quite the spokesperson for it. This weekend I had my 10 year class reunion back in Clintonville, WI, and I got to gush about my town. "Oh, it's just so beautiful and peaceful! I get to mountain bike, hike, paddle, snowshoe, snowboard, cross country ski" etc. etc. People were really interested, and I bet a few of them just might come up to visit.

Of course, one of the hardest parts about describing Copper Harbor (besides truly expressing how wonderful it really is) is explaining where it is. Lucky for them, I brought a stack of my black market pamphlets which include a map with surrounding states. When I showed them this picture, I could tell that their nod was one of true comprehension, not just concession.

So it was all fine and dandy. We didn't even get rained on during our cook out. But back in da Harbor, the clouds are still crying. I haven't had a chance to tell you that it has rained almost half the days since I last posted. Of course, in the beginning of the summer we always need the rain, but now it's just excessive. Some people's yards have even turned into ponds!

And what else happens when gray clouds block the sun from reaching our faces? Our smiles flat line and eventually go south. We need some sunshine to boost the vitality back up. Some businesses rely on nice weather to run, and that's rough enough in itself. But Mr. Sunshine, we need our vitamin D!

I shall say no more about that, and hope for the best. It won't be long before the berries are ready, and that keeps my smile carved in stone. Mmmmmmm, berries!

No comments:

Post a Comment